Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Why my Dad is my hero



If you follow me on social media you know that my Sister and Dad ran in a half marathon this past weekend. Sorry for blowing up y'all's feeds.. It was kinda a big deal and here is why- My Father ran in memory of his father and also for the Jimmy V foundation. Here is a testimony that my Dad wrote when he was raising money for the Jimmy V foundation:

"On April 15, 1993 my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  He would succumb to the disease on June 17, 1993 at the young age of 50.  Jimmy Valvano passed away two weeks after my fathers diagnoses. at the age of 47.  Both men missed many important life milestones such as their children's graduations, children's marriages and seeing their beautiful grandchildren come into the world.  Papa Fred now has 4 beautiful granddaughters, 2 grandsons and 2 step grandchildren.  All of these joys were taken away by cancer.  Now as a 46 year old father of 2 wonderful children, I am at the same age that Jimmy Valvano was diagnosed with cancer.  I think every day, will this disease hit me and rob me of the joy of seeing my children graduate college, getting married or from meeting my grandchildren?  I will run this half marathon with my daughter in memory of my father (Papa Fred) and will use his guidance to help us complete the 13.1 miles.  I believe he will be glad that we are running in his honor, but he will be thinking why would you run 13.1 miles?  Just drink a beer in my honor!  I am asking my family and friends to make a donation in memory of a loved one that lost their battle with cancer." 


So, thank you Daddy for being such a huge influence on my life and being my role model. Thank you for showing me that I can do anything that I put my mind to. I hope that I will eventually be able to run half-marathons with you, but in the mean time I will be your biggest cheerleader.

To Papa Fred- I have heard so much about you and I can not wait to meet you. Thank you for being with my Daddy and Sister during the race and being their guardian angel.

Also, a big shout out to my sister for running the half-marathon along side with my Dad! I can not believe that you shaved 40 minutes off of your time!!! For you also, hopefully I will eventually run with you, but I will continue to be your biggest cheerleader and photographer. Keep up the hard work Sis and I will always be here to support you!

To Daddy-Keep doing big things and making a difference in this world! I am so blessed by you and the way that you love me. Thank you for everything you do for me and for always being there for me.

Love,
Your littlest baby girl

No comments:

Post a Comment